Mission & History
The Pleasant Prairie Historical Society is a non-profit 501(c)(3) that was founded in 2010 by a group of volunteers passionate about preserving local history. After witnessing dramatic changes in the landcape of “The Prairie” over the previous decades, the group was inspired to form a Historical Society so the community’s history dating back to 1835 would not be forgotten, even if much of that landscape has been lost to time.
The Historical Society’s mission is to collect, preserve, and exhibit locally important archaeological, historical, and cultural materials and sites, and provide educational opportunities to promote an appreciation of Pleasant Prairie’s historical significance.
In 2012, the Elizabeth J. Riley Charitable Trust purchased the historic Dublin School and began leasing the building to the Historical Society for $1.00 a year. Thanks to the help of over 120 volunteers and local businesses and over 250 donors, the Historical Society renovated the building and opened the Pleasant Prairie History Museum on August 26, 2020.